Maryland truck drivers are obligated to follow a set of restrictions known as the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations (FMCSR). When they fail to follow the rules, this can be used as evidence against them in insurance negotiations and court cases.
Truck drivers must stay in compliance with FMCSR guidelines by doing things like:
- Making sure their truck is within the federally-mandated height and weight restrictions
- Having an appropriate truck driver’s license
- Limiting the length of their shifts and hours worked each week according to the rules
- Passing a comprehensive certification exam
- Meeting certain physical standards
- Carrying an insurance policy that meets certain requirements